Thank you for your interest in the Spokane Area Youth Choirss. We are a performing art choral organization, committed to providing a unique musical experience where artistic expression and appreciation are developed. Our comprehensive program is designed for young people ages 7-18. During our placement interview, we seek to discover as much as possible about your child’s musical potential. We realize that at this point in a child’s life, few children have highly developed musical skills. Parents can prepare their children by assuring them they will enjoy the experience. No other preparation is necessary.
- Singing is an art form that can be done anywhere, requires no expensive instruments and can be done by almost everyone.
- Studies have documented health benefits resulting from singing, including increased antibodies, lowered stress hormones, and improved lung function.
- Test scores indicate that music students perform better on math, science and language arts assessments.
- Research indicates physical changes to the brain from music study, particularly to the left side of the brain and areas devoted to language and reasoning.
- Performing music builds self-confidence and a sense of teamwork.
- Concepts learned through singing include self-discipline and the value of sustained effort leading to excellence.